Tuesday 3 March 2009

Social Media- are we all just talking to Internet Marketers?

http://www.chrisbrogan.com/one-way-to-move-content-around/
I have looked at social media/networking and peoples comments for a few weeks now and how some say there are two camps,basically "everyday people" and "business people" i personally think its just people and that's what we do.And as with the Internet,business wealth and velocity, will win the social media then become social networking,somehow i think it will be as now, a combination of both.
I think the following replies to Chris Brogans articel give a few pointers to general thoughts about social media.

3 richard pelletier 03.03.09 at 1:34 am
Hey Chris,
Hoping to join you in Seattle. As exciting as this moment is, sometimes I wonder how much of what is happening on the internets right now is making its way to the real folk out there. I have a friend/business associate who is very successful and is just a really busy guy. He said to me, “What’s LinkedIn?” which amazed me. That made me wonder if we all aren’t one big community talking to ourselves. Not that that is such a bad thing, but there’s an insular quality to things…I’m giving my friend/associate and his partners a social media presentation and I have no idea what they know or don’t know. I think they know very little.
4 Maya 03.03.09 at 1:45 am
Carries on nicely from the last post. What comes with being on the content marketing side of the equation is a niche, a focus and most often (since you need people to actually create content) is a community with a strong sense or passion in that niche. And this works way better than Triond for example is that when content creators and consumers overlap through one single passion we have a community that holds its own - a dynamic equilibrium of sorts. Which then is completely mobile(sellable) and immune to who “owns” it - and who owns it ideally should not matter at all since it is owned by the community, right (unless the “who owns it” does not understand that you play this from the inside and not the outside)?
Well, this is my take on it and I could be completely wrong - but that is what I am seeing happening in my space.
Content is indeed the king today, but there is so much of it that the only way to build value around that is with a niche and a community. Thoughts?
5 Kevin Alvarez 03.03.09 at 1:53 am
Chris,
I am also interested to see how this flies. I plan on submitting a few non-marketing articles on subjects I am knowledgeable and passionate about. It’s worth the effort, especially since I’ll love the subject matter.
Richard,
I agree with your assessment. I primarily deal with small (micro) businesses and have realized a good number of business owners are only vaguely familiar with social media (they’ve heard about it) and even less have ever participated in PPC campaigns. As online marketers, we are lucky in that we utilize the medium to communicate, share, and learn at a very rapid pace. Stop and think about how much we learn everyday. Most other professions do not have the ability for continuous education on a daily basis. Things do change fast and it is with this that new opportunities present themselves to those who are open to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment